Who We Are:
The Watershed Institute is a program of the Stony Brook-Millstone Watershed Association. Since our establishment in 2000, the Institute has focused on our goals of:
- Strengthening the organizational and mission-critical program capacity of NJ’s watershed organizations to protect and restore the State’s watersheds
- Connecting NJ’s watershed organizations and allies in a way that promotes community and meaningful collaboration
- Mobilizing NJ’s watershed organizations to address distinct priority issues affecting clean and plentiful water and healthy habitats throughout the State
What We Do:
The Watershed Institute offers a variety of services to watershed, conservation, and environmental groups throughout the State of New Jersey. These services include:
- One-on-one assistance to support watershed nonprofits on issues of organizational health, capacity building, and mission-critical environmental programming
- Workshops, trainings, and roundtable sessions where groups can come together, learn from one another, and share best practices on a host of environmental and organizational issues
- An annual grants program for watershed-focused nonprofits, provided through generous contributions from the Geraldine Dodge Foundation
- Managing and distributing an online listserv to keep groups and individuals up to date on the issues, events, and opportunities that matter to them, and provide a forum to connect with one another
We pride ourselves on the ability to offer these services to nonprofit organizations completely free of charge, and we are grateful for the generous support of the Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation, which allows us to do so.
Click here to read the Watershed Institute’s new Strategic Plan!
Protecting the environment and the watersheds where we live, work, and play has always been the driving principle behind everything we do here at the Watershed Institute. The following priorities represent the foundation of our work and our vision for healthier environments and communities throughout New Jersey.
- Restore NJ’s waterways to state and federal clean water quality standards
- Promote resiliency of NJ’s watersheds to stormwater and flooding impacts
- Protect and restore healthy habitats and functioning ecosystems
We will address these priorities through our Targeted Actions, with help from like-minded organizations and motivated citizens across the region.
We believe that healthy watersheds are essential to public health and safety, a robust economy, and a resilient environment. Working from a watershed perspective uniquely addresses New Jersey’s most pressing environmental challenges by managing water resources along the boundaries established by nature, rather than along arbitrary political boundaries.
We believe that any watershed organization can grow and thrive as a champion for the environment if they have the right tools and support. For us, no group is too large or too small to be deserving of assistance. We consider every group we work with to be a partner organization, and we are proud to support the important and inspiring work they do.
The Stony Brook-Millstone Watershed Association has more than sixty-five years of experience in working at the watershed level to protect the environment and benefit local communities. The Association’s track record of success in conservation, advocacy, science, and education within our 265 sq. mile watershed has laid the foundation for the Institute to serve as a resource provider for New Jersey’s environmental nonprofit community. We’ve got the experience, and we’d be happy to put it to work for you.
Connect with us today to see what we can do for you, because together we can do more.